The cosmetic form of botulinum toxin is a popular injectable that temporarily reduces or eliminates facial fine lines and wrinkles. The most commonly treated areas are frown lines, forehead creases, crow's feet near the eyes. Several other areas have been treated such as thick bands in the neck, thick jaw muscles, lip lines and gummy smiles.
Botulinum toxin is a purified substance that's derived from bacteria. Injections of botulinum toxin block the nerve signals to the muscle in which it was injected. Without a signal, the muscle is not able to contract. The end result is diminished unwanted facial wrinkles or appearance. Common types of botulinum toxin type A injections include Botox®, Dysport®, Xeomin® and Jeuveau®. Botulinum toxin can be used to:
- Smooth crow's feet, forehead furrows, frown lines, lip lines and bunny lines
- Diminish neck bandsImprove the appearance of skin dimpling of the chinLift the corners of the mouth
- Soften a square jawline
- Correct a gummy smile
The FDA has approved the use of Botox® for the frown lines and crow's feet, while Dysport® and Xeomin® are approved for frown lines only. All other uses are considered "off label."
Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Juvederm is a family of injectable hyaluronic acid dermal fillers used to provide 9 months to one year of correction for moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds (lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth). It is also used for lip augmentation.
- Juvederm Volbella® XC is used for lips and around the lip area to add subtle volume and to smooth vertical lip lines
- Juvederm® Ultra XC is also for the lip and surrounding tissue but is designed to add more fullness than Juvederm Volbella® XC
- Juvederm Voluma® XC is for the cheek area to give a subtle lift that increases volume and contours cheek area
- Juvederm® XC Is suitable for moderate or severe facial folds or wrinkles such as the fold that runs from your nose to mouth (parentheses lines)
- Juvederm Vollure™ XC is also suitable for moderate or severe facial wrinkles or folds, but may last longer than Juvederm® XC
There may be some discomfort during and after the injection. Juvederm is injected directly into the skin with a fine needle. Juvederm products contain the local anesthetic lidocaine to help lessen discomfort during injection
The Restylane family of products includes Restylane®, Restylane-L®, Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine, Restylane® Silk, Restylane® Refyne, and Restylane® Defyne.
- Restylane® and Restylane-L® are for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. Restylane® and Restylane-L® are also indicated for injection into the lips in patients over the age of 21.
- Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine is for deep implantation into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds and for cheek augmentation and for the correction of age-related midface contour deficiencies in patients over the age of 21. Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine is also indicated for injection into the subcutaneous plane in the dorsal hand to correct volume deficit in patients over the age of 21.
- Restylane® Refyne is for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds, in patients over the age of 21.
- Restylane® Defyne is for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe deep facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds, in patients over the age of 21
The most commonly observed side effects are swelling, redness, pain, bruising, headache, tenderness, lump formation, itching at the injection site, and impaired hand function.
OBAGI BLUE PEEL
In-office, medium-depth facial chemical peel procedures performed by professionally trained specialists to help reveal younger, healthier-looking skin one layer at a time.
The Obagi Blue Peel is a chemically superior peel that achieves optimum skin resurfacing by using slow-acting TCA (trichloroacetic acid) to remove dead skin cells and stimulate the production of new ones. The Obagi Blue Peel, formulated by internationally renowned dermatologist and chemical peel expert Dr. Zein Obagi, can be used alone or in conjunction with CO2 laser treatment or dermabrasion.
Obagi Blue Peel recovery time is relatively painless and last just seven to 10 days. The recovery time is shorter than with most resurfacing treatments due to the fact that it is a well-tolerated procedure that rarely produces erythema or inflammation.